Rise of the New Empire
Taking a step while making any active defence—excluding dodges—provides a + 2 bonus to your skill before calculating your defence score. However, stepping perpendicular or closer to the incoming attack applies an additional – 2 or – 4 penalty respectively, but a defence of this nature counts as a riposte, with the effective riposte penalty to your opponent being – 1 or – 2 respectively.
|Step type||Skill Bonus||Skill Penalty||Riposte||Final defence score modifier|
|Retreat||+ 2||0||—||+ 1|
|Sidestep||+ 2||- 2||- 1||0|
|Close||+ 2||- 4||- 2||- 1|
Stepping while dodging confers a + 2 bonus in addition to the modifier from the Final defence score modifier column in the table above. Sidestep Defence and Closing Defence can be bought as techniques. Characters can only train Closing Defence if they have already fully trained Sidestep Defence.
|Sidestep Defence||Hard||Defence skill – 2|
|Closing Defence||Hard||Defence skill – 4|
|Location (front/back)||Roll (3d)||Second Roll ([front/back]/loc)||Penalty (front/back)|
|Skull||3-4||(1/1-4)/Head||- 7 /- 5|
|Face/Skull||5||(2-4/—)/Head||- 5 / —|
|Eyes||1/Face||- 9 / —|
|Ears||2/Face||- 8 / —|
|Mouth||3/Face||- 8 / —|
|Nose||4/Face||- 8 / —|
|Upper Chest||9||1-2/Torso||- 1|
|Vitals||1-2/Upper Chest||- 3|
|Digestive Tract||2-4/Abdomen||- 2|
|Arms||8L, 12R||- 2|
|Upper Arm||2/Arms||- 5|
|Legs||6-7L, 13-14R||- 2|
- Skull: gets an extra DR 2, the wounding modifier for all attacks increases to x4, and critical hits use the Critical Head Blow Table (p. 556). If enough damage is taken to cause shock, make a knockdown roll. On a major wound, make a knockdown roll at – 10. A miss by 1 from the front means the face is hit instead.
- Face: critical hits use the Critical Head Blow Table. If enough damage is taken to cause shock, make a knockdown roll. On a major wound, your knockdown roll is at – 5.
- Eye: Injury over HP/10 blinds the eye; if the damage is impaling or piercing, treat as a skull hit without the extra DR 2, otherwise treat as a face hit. A miss by 1 means the face was hit instead.
- Ear: as face, but a major wound causes hard of hearing until healed. If the attack causing the major wound was cutting, the ear is cut off, and hard of hearing is permanent. A miss by 1 means the face was hit instead.
- Mouth: as face, but a major wound gives cannot speak, weak bite, and slow eater until healed. A miss by 1 means the face was hit instead.
- Nose: as face, but a major wound gives no sense of smell/taste until healed. If the attack causing the major wound was cutting, the nose is cut off, and no sense of smell/taste is permanent. If you are damaged by a crushing attack to the nose, make an HT roll to avoid breaking your nose. If your nose is broken, take no sense of smell/taste until it is fixed. A miss by 1 means the face is hit instead.
- Neck: increase the wounding multiplier of crushing attacks to x1.5, and that of cutting damage to x2. A miss by 1 means the upper chest is hit instead.
- Upper Chest: roll 1d, on a 1, the Vitals are hit instead. No other effects. To specifically avoid the vitals, roll at – 1.
- Vitals: increase the wounding modifier for an impaling or any piercing attack to x3. If enough damage is taken to cause shock, make a knockdown roll. On a major wound, your knockdown roll is at – 5. A miss by 1 means the lower chest is hit instead.
- Lower Chest: the default hit location. No effect on damage.
- Abdomen: an abdomen hit becomes one of the four below…
- Kidneys: as vitals.
- Digestive Tract: On a major wound, roll HT – 3 to avoid a special infection.
- Pelvis: on a major wound, you fall down! You cannot stand, and can only fight if you assume a sitting or lying posture. Until healed, you have Lame (Missing Legs).
- Groin: human males suffer double the usual shock from crushing damage to a maximum of – 8, and get – 5 to knockdown rolls. Someone who takes a major wound to the groin is castrated! A miss by 1 means the lower chest is hit instead.
- Arm or Leg: reduce the wounding multiplier of large piercing, huge piercing, and impaling damage to x1, and any major wound cripples the limb. Multiple hits to the same part of an arm or leg (forearm, shin, et cetera) can cripple it if the total damage that part has taken exceeds 1/2 HP.
- Hand or Foot: reduce the wounding multiplier of large piercing, huge piercing, and impaling damage to x1. Damage over 1/3 HP in one blow inflicts a crippling major wound.
- Finger, Thumb, or Toe: as for a hand or foot, but damage over 1/5 HP in one blow inflicts a crippling major wound. A specific finger or toe can be targeted at – 9 to skill.